Research Institute for Individuals with Disabilities was established in 1993 by the Statutory Decrees of 496 and began operations in 1994. It is still the one and only Institute in its kind in Turkey. Currently two Professor (one of them is a director), five Associate Professors, four Assistant Professors, one Psyhotherapist, one Psychological Counselor, one Special Education Specialist, seventeen Research/Teaching Assistants, and five Teachers are enrolled.
There are four main divisions at Research Institute for Individuals with Disabilities. These are;
- Division for Individuals with Developmental Disabilities (Autism Spectrum Disorders and Intellectual Disabilities)
- Division for Individuals with Hearing Impairment
- Division for Individuals with Visual Impairment
- Division for Individuals with Physical Disabilities
Active departments are division for Division for Individuals with Developmental Disabilities (Autism Spectrum Disorders and Intellectual Disabilities) and Division for Individuals with with Physical Disabilities.
The activities of Research Institute for Individuals with Disabilities are as follows;
- Carry out educational, behavioral and developmental assessment of children with developmental delays/disabilities or under the risk between the ages of 0-8.
- Offer to children with developmental delays/disabilities between the ages of 0-6 individual and/or group training options.
- Develop and/or adapt assessment/evaluation tools, training (behavioral and developmental intervention) programs/curriculum for individuals with developmental delays/disabilities,
- For the families with children with developmental delays/disabilities, prepare package programs based on cultural issues and support to families psychologically well-being, in collaboration of psychological counseling centers, special education and rehabilitation centers.
- For the experts and teachers who work with children with developmental delays/disabilities, provide current and scientific informative books, brochures and deliver educational seminaries.
- Provide services such as teaching at undergraduate and graduate levels and directing graduate theses to other units of the Anadolu University such as Graduate Schools of Educational and Social Sciences.